Run on cloud 9 each and every time you head out for an intense workout with the Nike Free 5.0 V4. It isn’t just about comfort with this innovative running shoe from Nike, but about feeling the earth under your feet too. Few athletic shoes are designed to feel like you’re wearing nothing, especially when they still offer as much support and comfort as the Nike Free 5.0 V4.
The fact is, every runner has certain needs when it comes to the shoes they wear. You may need extra support , or shoes that provide motion control, or you may simply want to be able to connect with the earth every time your foot hits the ground. If the barefoot feel is what you’re looking for then you have finally found the right shoe.
Scroll Over Thumbnails to See Larger Pics
What I find amazing about the Nike Free line is the fact that they offer many of the same great features that characterize many other Nike running shoes yet somehow they are lighter, less constricting, and provide the runner with a more barefoot-like feel. Those features are highlighted below…
- Outsole designed in a waffle pattern to offer superior traction and to encourage a more natural take off from the toe.
- Deep, flexible grooves that provide for enhanced stability and flexibility during running activity.
- BRS 1000 carbon rubber strategically placed throughout the outsole for longer lasting durability.
The features described above are seen in many different Nike running shoes, but the features that are packed into the Nike Free that are unique are what makes them so different, and so very special. These one-of-a-kind features include:
- Molded sock liner with minimalistic design to improve fit, increase support, and enhance comfort.
- Solid rubber pods in the toe area for added traction and durability.
- Low profile midsole made of Phylite which reduces weight but is still tough enough to work simultaneously as an outsole.
- Mesh upper made with a seamless design that provides a skin-like feel.
These features are what made the original Nike Free so popular so they didn’t need to be changed with the newest version. As usual, though, Nike is always trying to make things better, so they did make some improvements on the original design. Those improvements come in the form of better overall functionality and include the following:
- New tongue design with a wrap construction that allows for easy on and off.
- Comfort lacing system with an asymmetrical design to reduce top of the foot pressure.
- Lighter weight and more minimalist design for a more barefoot feel.
- Wider sipes that help more with muscle activation similar to barefoot running.
The whole idea of the Nike Free 5.0 V4 is to make your next workout feel more like a barefoot running experience without having to give up the support or traction control you would get in a regular athletic shoe.
Reviewers of the new version have provided mixed reviews. Some feel that the new fabric doesn’t live up to the standards of the last Nike Free, while others feel that the fit is not true to size and runs a bit small. These are all things that you will want to consider before purchasing the Nike Free 5.0 V4. It is also important to consider the fact that this running shoe will be unlike any you have every worn before, so it may take some time to get used to the feel.
If you are looking for a more traditional women’s athletic shoe then the Nike Flex 2013 Run, and the Nike Roshe Run are both very popular options. Just take a glance at the reviews to see why women in the minimalist crowd love these sleek trainers.
If you do decide on the Nike Free 5.0 V4, though, there are nine different great color combinations to choose from, including a blue and white combination which is my personal favorite. So if you want a more natural running experience, with a style that will definitely match whatever workout attire you choose, then the Nike Free 5.0 V4 is the running shoe for you.