Race your way to being a champion with the new Brooks T7 Racer, an upgraded version of the T6 Racer that was previously released by Brooks. This lightweight minimalist running shoe is ideal for road racing, rather than as a wear anywhere athletic shoe.
There have been few changes since the last model, aside from a bit of a different style. The new T7 Racer comes in two different color combinations that are suitable for both men and women, as this is not a gender specific shoe.
I really like the yellow and blue color combination but the yellow and black is very popular and quite stylish too. Even more important than style and color, though, is the construction of this shoe.
Scroll Over Thumbnails to See Larger Pics
The Brooks T7 Racer is designed to make the runner feel like they’re connecting to the ground. It is very low profile and weighs only 6 ounces in a women’s size 10 ½. That being said, there is not a whole lot of restrictive shoe there, which is ideal for serious runners.
Even with its light weight and low profile, though, this athletic trainer features some of the best of the best in Brooks running technology. Those technologies, along with some other great features that make this a superior minimalist running shoe, include:
- An easy on and off heel pull loop.
- A molded insole that provides added underfoot cushioning.
- Support that is lightweight and targets the right areas with innovative synthetic overlays.
- Breathable upper made from light air mesh.
- Durable outsole made from HPR Plus High Performance Rubber.
- Unrestricted flexibility in the forefoot area resulting from the foot being set in a more balanced position due to the outsole and insole working together because of the innovative Engineered Hyper Pod Configuration.
- Enhanced midsole cushioning and great shock absorption provided by the Fearfoot HydroFlow viscous fluid heel unit.
The Brooks T7 Racer is already getting just as good of reviews as the T6 Racer. Many reviewers point out how great this athletic shoe is for running speed when used for racing. There is a large number of serious runners out there that seek out the most minimalist design they can find and this is certainly it.
The only negative reviews that have caught my attention have to do with the lack of sufficient cushioning, but this is common with a minimalist athletic shoe. If you’re seeking a lot of cushioning you may be better off with something like the Brooks PureConnect 3, or the Brooks PureCadence 3 if you need a bit of inner-foot stability. Both are minimalist running shoes designed for ultimate performance but provide a little bit more cushioning for those who need it. But if you’re looking for the ultimate minimalist design then the Brooks T7 Racer is for you.
If you’re an overpronator, which means you have issues with the arches of your feet rolling inward then you will probably need a shoe with more cushioning and support than the Brooks T7 Racer. If you’re still looking for a minimalist design then your options are limited, but the two Brooks runners previously mentioned are both more cushioned than this shoe.
But if you need even more cushioning then you are going to want to go with a shoe designed for women that overpronate. Brooks offers a couple of stylish, superior functioning athletic shoes with that kind of cushioning. A couple of those include:
- Brooks Ghost 6 – With an S-257 Cushsole midsole compound used for extra cushioning.
- Brooks Dyad 7 – With a blown rubber forefoot for added light underfoot cushioning.
Having the right athletic shoes when you workout is important. If you’re looking for a minimalist running shoe then the Brooks T7 Racer is a great choice, but if you need more cushioning and support you should definitely check out our reviews of one of models above.