If you’re tired of clomping around in your boring old heavy gym shoes then the shoe you should consider next should be the Brooks Glycerin 11.
This superior running shoe has been designed with the neutral female runner or the underpronator in mind, which means it has the extra cushioning to offer the perfect amount of support.
Scroll Over Thumbnails to See Larger Pics
The Glycerin 11 is the successor to the popular Glycerin 10, which isn’t much different than the newer model, aside from the new version getting some contemporary style upgrades. The Glycerin 11 comes in three cool color combinations, which include a pink and gray, a blue and black, and a gray and turquoise, which I love.
Style aside, though, so far reviews for the Glycerin 11 have been quite positive, pointing mostly to the great support, superior cushioning, and the stabilization that it gives the outside of the foot to keep it from rolling.
These and other features are what make the Brooks Glycerin 11 a great running shoe for underpronators, but still ideal for the neutral runner too. Those features are the result of some pretty amazing technology developed by Brooks and provide even more amazing benefits, some of which include:
- Better structure while still getting a lightweight shoe thanks to the 3D Fit Print overlays.
- Superior flexibility and ultimate cushioning provided by an energy efficient S-257 Cushsole midsole compound used as an insole board.
- Increased comfort with a plush collar and tongue.
- Orthotic accommodating removable insole made with EVA material.
- Heel to toe differential of 10 mm supports better function.
- Additional cushioning provided by a soft blown rubber forefoot.
- More natural movement of the foot with innovative Omega Flex Grooves.
- Ultimately smooth transitioning made possible by the full-length crash pad.
- Element upper made from a light, breathable microfiber mesh material.
- Cushioning that will last longer and is environmentally friendly due to the full-length BioMoGo midsole.
- Shock absorption based on your needs provided by DNA technology that works with BioMoGo.
- Ultimate fit and superior function provided by a Universal Sprung Platform.
- Durability and amazing performance comes from the innovative HPR Plus material.
If you’re looking for a basic athletic shoe that isn’t based on a minimalistic design and that isn’t designed for the trail then the Brooks Glycerin 11 is a great option. It’s a bit heavier than some of the other shoes that fall into this category but has much to offer in the way of technology that supports a better fit and better function. Add to that the contemporary style that so many women tend to love and you have yourself a superior athletic shoe.
The Brooks Glycerin 11 is meant for the neutral to underpronator, which means it provides enhanced cushioning but lacks the necessary stability needed by overpronators. With overpronators the foot rolls inward more than is ideal, and this results in injury and sometimes significant pain after running or participating in other activities.
For overpronators there are a number of great options offered by Brooks, depending on how much stability you need. If a touch of stability is all that you’re looking for there are even more options. A couple of the most popular Brooks models for mild overpronators include:
- Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14 – With a Progressive Diagonal Rollbar (PDRB) to help control overpronation.
- Brooks Transcend – With a curved heel that promotes a more natural pace.
Either of these trainers will offer a bit more stability during your workout. If stability isn’t necessary for you then the Brooks Glycerin 11 is a great alternative if you like the Brooks running line as much as I do.