Blazing the trail and racing the elements has never been so comfortable and easy with the Brooks Cascadia 9. This trail runner not only offers some amazing technology designed to make it reliable in any terrain but it’s one of the more stylish trail runners out there too.
The new version of this already very popular trainer can be found in two different color styles, fuchsia and midnight and, my favorite, marine blue and midnight. Both offer a contemporary look to go with the more modern shoe technology.
Scroll Over Thumbnails to See Larger Pics
The predecessor to the Cascadia 9, the Cascadia 8, received great reviews mostly due to the great in-shoe feel provided by the sufficient cushioning and the lack of the need for a break in period as being the most outstanding features. And so far reviews of the newest edition seem to be highlighting the same features.
The Brooks Cascadia 9 is designed for neutral runners, so it may not have the support you need if you underpronate or the stability you need if you overpronate. For ladies who overpronate when they run, the Brooks Adrenaline ASR 10 trail runner is a better option.
But if you have fairly normal arches and you’re looking for a trail runner that is designed for the outdoor enthusiast then the Cascadia 9 is a terrific option, as it offers many benefits supported by innovative Brooks technology. Check out what each pair of sneakers includes…
- In-shoe and upper comfort provided by light microfiber Element upper and lining.
- Top of the foot comfort thanks to a collar and tongue made from soft, plush material.
- Cushioning beneath your foot provided by a removable insole made from foam.
- Environmentally friendly superbly durable cushioning and individualized shock absorption delivered by the combination BioMoGo/DNA midsole.
- Efficient balance with flexibility and cushioning made possible by bringing the outsole and midsole together with the Forefoot Cush Pod Construction.
- Ultimately smooth transitioning provided by a crash pad that runs the full length of the shoe.
- Additional flexibility and cushioning provided by the energy efficient S-257 Cushsole midsole.
- Enhanced function and superior fit with the Universal Sprung Platform.
- Protection from nasty rock bruises with a Thermoplastic EVA Ballistic Rock Shield that sits between the outsole and midsole.
- Decreased ground contact surface area that minimizes the effect of irregularities in the trail terrain, with independent medial and lateral pivot posts, provided by the Pivot Posting System technology.
- Reliable traction anywhere and in any weather conditions due to the long lasting HPR Green outsole material.
As far as trail runners go this is by far one of the best, but for those looking for a more minimalist feel there are better options, as the Cascadia 9 is a bit on the heavier side, weighing in at 10 ounces in a size 8 women’s. If shedding a couple extra ounces isn’t that big of a factor for you, then it could be an ideal trail runner for you.
If you are not new to trail running then you know you need a shoe with a thicker sole to protect your feet from stones, as they can cause painful bruises that will keep you from being able to run in the near future. But there are trail runners made for the minimalist too, so if you like to feel as much of the earth as possible without sacrificing that protection the Brooks PureGrit 2 is an option worth considering.
If you’re looking for even more of a barefoot feel you’ll have to go with an athletic shoe designed with the minimalist in mind. Brooks offers a couple sweet options, which include:
- Brooks PureCadence 3 – With extra support for the mild to moderate overpronator.
- Brooks PureConnect 3 – With a one inch heel height and extremely lightweight.
Neither of these are designed for the trail enthusiast, but rather for female athletes who workout on harder surfaces. They are meant for runners looking for a more natural feel and both are great choices for that purpose. But if trail running in the great outdoors is your preference, take a closer look at the popular Cascadia 9- it’s an excellent choice.